foreign documents of education

Foreign documents of education Candidates who hold foreign documents of education (high school diploma, 1st-2nd degree diploma) must go through process of recognition stating that the foreign document is equivalent to the Polish high school diploma, 1st-2nd degree diploma. Each foreign document of education needs to be legalized.


If the country in which the documents was issued is a party of the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, done in Hague on 5 October 1961 (Journal of Laws of 2005, No. 112, item 938) legalisation is replaced by apostille certificate attached to the document.

If the country which issued the document is not a party to the above mentioned Convention, the legalisation of the document is done by Polish consular office in the home country.


Foreign high school diploma may be recognized on the basis of:

  1. by the power of law (member countries of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development)
  2. international agreements, or
  3. decision of the educational board.


Degree diploma obtained abroad may be recognized on the basis of:

  1. international agreeements, or
  2. art. 191a § 3-4 of the Law on Higher Education,
  3. or nostrification.  


If the candidate has any doubts or questions concerning his/her diploma he/she can submit them for initial verification by electronic correspondance to