legalisation of stay


A non-Polish student must hold a visa valid for the duration of studies (at least the first year of studies), which is a document entitling him/her to stay in Poland. The procedure of obtaining a visa should be consulted at the consular office of the Republic of Poland, applicable to the consular district of the place of residence.


To obtain a student visa student should submit in the Polish consular office along with other required documents:

  1. official decision on admission
  2. certificate of admission of a foreigner to University or a certificate of continuation of studies by a foreigner
  3. confirmation of accommodation in student house


For long-term study purposes it is recommended to apply for individual country visa "D" that allows a foreigner to enter a single country and stay within its borders for up to one year.


Diplomatic missions and consular posts

A detailed list of Polish diplomatic missions and consular posts abroad as well as foreign diplomatic missions and consular posts in Poland can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs



If you do not have a visa, then a temporary residence card

The card may be issued to a foreigner registered as a student at a Polish university. Holders of a temporary residence card do not need to present a visa. Detailed information on the procedure for granting a temporary residence permit and other formalities is available on the website of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship Office in Szczecin.

Documents necessary to apply for a temporary residence permit in connection with studies:

• application for a temporary residence permit

• confirmation of student status

• a photocopy of all written pages of the travel document,

• 4 current colour photographs 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm,

• proof of payment of stamp duty,

• proof of a stable and regular source of income,

• proof of health insurance.


Stamp duty for residance permit is 340 złoty. The payment should be made to the following account and the original confirmation should be attached to the application.

Urząd Miasta Szczecin Wydział Podatków i Opłat Lokalnych,

Pl. Armii Krajowej 1, 70 – 456 Szczecin

20 1020 4795 0000 9302 0277 9429


West Pomeranian Voivodeship Office in Szczecin

Department of Civil Affairs and Foreigner

Waly Chrobrego 4

70-502 Szczecin